Your power to choose your direction of your life allows you to reinvent yourself, to change your future, and to powerfully influence the rest of creation.—Stephen Covey
At times it feels like, we are sitting in a giant Ferris wheel. It moves continuously but reaches nowhere. Ferris wheel is a thing of joy, provided it’s for a short time. It provides adrenaline rush or nausea, depending on the person and situation. However, if it continues to run forever, no one can enjoy the ride. Either person gets adjusted and learn to survive or recognizes that he/she is stuck and crave to come out of that loop.
It is easy to get caught with mundane tasks and occupied with too many things. We may not even think about the direction we are heading towards. Days will pass, so the years. One fine day, if you pause and think, you may find a big void there.
A short question, why do the snakes shed their skin?
Unlike human skin, a snake’s skin doesn’t grow with the body. As the snake grows, its skin becomes stretched and eventually reaches a point where further growth is not possible. Hence, snakes shed their skin to allow further growth and to remove parasites that may have attached to their old skin.
Isn’t it a great example for us to take stock of the situation and reinvent ourselves?
There are many things that are restraining our growth, happiness, and freedom. Just think about your activities, habits, hobbies, behavior or anything that’s in your control. Are they empowering you or make you feel helpless? Give a thought on each one and check, whether it is helping you to grow or making you happy. If the answer is no for both, it’s high time to work on it and revive yourself.
Make note of the things that you need to shed like molting of snakes. Create To-do list for the activities that make you happy or help you to grow.
I have listed a few of them.
- Start a new hobby for which you were waiting for the right time.
- Learn music, dance, drama, creative writing or anything you have in mind and postponing it.
- Change the wardrobe and personal style.
- Join some courses of your choice that may enhance your career or help you to build an alternative one.
- Be selective on the tasks you take up.
- Pick up reading and/or writing based on your interest.
- Work on investment decisions that you have kept on hold.
- Extend the time you spend with family and friends.
- Revive the travel plans that are kept aside.
- Part-time jobs for extra income.
- Get organized at home or work.
- Read more to hone your parenting skill.
- Take up sports or some other physical activities
- Join yoga or meditation classes.
- Work on improving communication skills
Write your own list of things that you like to change and commit to yourself on it. As we are in January, you have a full year to carry out the options of your choice. Work on it. Let the new year’s zeal help you to identify the area and reinvent yourself.
Wish you a very happy new year!